With the SpeedScriber panel, you can easily import transcripts directly to clips in Adobe Premiere Pro CC (requires version 2017.1 or later). For simple clips that reference a single audio or video file, the transcript is shown as single timestamped words in the Metadata panel. For complex clips (merged or multicam) or sequences, the transcript is added as markers.
- Quit Premiere Pro.
- Download and run the installer.
- Launch Premiere Pro.
- Choose Window > Extensions > SpeedScriber
- Log in with your account details.
Exporting Premiere Pro clips for SpeedScriber
We recommend using Adobe Media Encoder to export a low-res QuickTime proxy (.mov) of your source clips for import to SpeedScriber. The file will contain a timecode track so SpeedScriber will show the correct source timecode.
Once SpeedScriber has transcribed the imported file(s) and you have made any necessary corrections, the transcript can be attached to Premiere Pro clips using the SpeedScriber panel.
Using the panel
Once logged in, the panel displays a list of the files in your account.
The files list has columns for the name, status and last updated time with a button in the last column that performs actions on that file. Files are ordered by the last updated time with the most recent at the top.
Use the buttons in the top left to choose between viewing All files or only files that have a status of Verified (this includes Exported status). Files that are processing or deleted are not displayed in the panel.
You can filter the files list by entering text into the search field. Click the close button to clear the search text.
To import the transcript from a SpeedScriber file to a Premiere Pro clip, do the following:
- Click the Import button.
- After a few moments an overlay window will slide down with further instructions. Locate the destination clip in the Premiere Pro project panel, and select it.
- Click the menu on the tab of the Metadata panel and choose Metadata Display… then enter "speed" in the search field and enable the SpeedScriber ID property. This step will need to be done once for each project. There is no need to display the SpeedScriber Last Import property which is used internally by the panel for tracking when updates are required.
- In the Metadata panel (Window > Metadata) open the Clip section and scroll down to the bottom so you can see the SpeedScriber ID property.
- Paste the clipboard contents into the SpeedScriber ID field and press Return.
- Click the Import button in the SpeedScriber overlay window.
- If the SpeedScriber panel finds the destination clip then it will add the transcript data and the button title in the files list will change to Imported. If it does not find the destination clip, then an error message will be displayed.
Once the first import has been done, any future changes to the transcript in SpeedScriber will cause the files list to update in real-time and the action button will change to Update (since the transcript data on the Premiere Pro clip is now out of date).
Clicking the Update button will import the transcript to the Premiere Pro clip that contains the matching SpeedScriber ID.
Viewing transcripts on simple clips that reference a single file
As mentioned earlier, on simple audio or video clips, the transcript from SpeedScriber can be viewed by selecting the clip in the Premiere Pro Project panel then opening the Speech Analysis section in the Metadata panel.
The Speech Analysis panel provides some powerful ways to assemble sequences using the transcript. See Adobe documentation for more details.
Viewing transcripts on complex clips or sequences
The Speech Analysis panel cannot be used for complex clips that reference more than one media file, so for these clips, SpeedScriber adds transcripts as markers with one marker for each sentence.
These markers are displayed at the bottom of the viewers or in the Markers panel with the Name field set to the speaker name and the transcript in the Comments field.
When the transcript on a clip is updated, any markers that were previously added by the SpeedScriber panel are automatically removed.